Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOW TO ACHIEVE BETTER SOUND ON YOUR KEYBOARD
Information 
HOW TO ACHIEVE BETTER SOUND ON YOUR KEYBOARD

This is really quite easy if you know how and do it right.
The most effective thing is to start with styles and how these are set up to work.

The most common and widespread mistake that users make is to use Master EQ as the final tool for correcting the sound.

It is far better and more correct to make EQ for each track in each individual style, with very moderate adjustments, and it is mostly only necessary to adjust drums and bass.

The individual track levels should also be adjusted so that they all sound equally clear.

The next step is to give drum kits more punch, and the most effective tool for this is the Drum Editor, found on the Pa700/Pa1000/Pa4X and Pa5X models.
Other models require the use of external software such as Cubase for this type of edit.

The last step consists in activating appropriate FX effects, and with these you can influence both EQ and acoustics and much more very effectively.
In addition, there is a built-in function in FX for drum kits where you can give each drum element extra punch.

More than anything else, FX effects are capable of completely changing a sound's character, and are the ultimate tool for final customization.

It is also important to be aware that all effects must be used very moderately; a common mistake is to use them too forcefully.
Shared knowledge provides increased knowledge
If we all share everything we have, we all have everything

KEYBOARDS, SYNTHS & MODULES I HAVE HAD AND HAVE
*Casio CTK 811-ex *Roland EXR-7 76 *Yamaha DGX-620 *Yamaha PSR-550 *Yamaha PSR-S700 *Korg Pa800 *Korg Pa3X 61 *Casio WK-7500 *Yamaha Tyros5 61 *Ketron Audya5 61 *Yamaha PSR S950 *Solton X8 Chromatic *Yamaha Tyros4 10th Anniversary *Korg Pa4X 61 *Roland BK-7m 
*Technics KN-6000 *Technics KN-7000 *Roli Seaboard RISE 49 *Deebach MAX Plus *Yamaha Genos *Korg Pa700 *Korg Kronos2 73 *Tyros4 61 *Ketron Audya 76 *Deebach BlackBox *Korg Pa2X Pro *Yamaha A3000 *Medeli AKX10 *Korg Nautilus 73 *Yamaha DGX-670 *Korg Krome EX-88 *Korg OASYS 76 *Korg Pa5X 76 *Yamaha Tyros1 *Ketron Audya 76

MY PA EQUIPMENT NON-ACTIVE AND ACTIVE
*Aune S6 32 bit DAC *MOTU 32 bit Audio Interface *FM Acoustics FM 300A Power amp (Clone) *MBL 6010 Pre Amp (Clone) *STAX SR-L300 (Lambda) electrostatic headphones with STAX SRM-252S Amplifier *beyerdynamic T70 headphones (without pads) *Jamo Cornet 145 *Quadrophonic speaker system consisting of baffles with horns equipped with Seas Exotic fullrange units (MeloDavid clones) *2 cabinets equipped with 2 pcs 6.5" Seas Excel /1 Seas Prestige 6.5" fullrange/1 pc Fountek NeoPro5i (with Dali DaCapo membranes) *Tweeter horns with double membranes & Philips unit *Hexagonal subwoofer with 12 pieces Push&Pull coupled Seas Prestige 8" units and built-in XTZ power amplifiers & Cambridge C500 as pre amplifier
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Chello for this post:
  • Arius (07-18-2023), jucami (07-17-2023), ludo willems (07-17-2023), OrganPlayer (07-17-2023), Robinez (07-17-2023), Roshure (07-17-2023)
Add Thank You Reply
Yes MR Chello in this you also have right, that is also me i think i also use to much Effects in my music, but i must say i love the Reverb and delay in my songs maybe to much but i love those effects to much

And so as i say maybe to much i use

25 26 27

You are also very early out of bed Mr Chello i also i can not sleep long i have a lot of work to do with my korg

Now i must work to make the songs complete in my korg Pa5x i have now so much songs to make

And also the Notation is not complete , many songs i must write again but i love to do that

But takes really a lot of time , first write the music , than make the midi file,  and than play the demo song i think sometimes one hour a song but sometimes it takes 2 hours or longer to complete a song set

But i do that so a long time now i really love it
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to OrganPlayer for this post:
  • Arius (07-18-2023), Chello (07-17-2023), jucami (07-17-2023), Roshure (07-17-2023)
Add Thank You Reply
(07-17-2023, 04:38 AM)OrganPlayer Wrote: Yes MR Chello in this you also have right, that is also me i think i also use to much Effects in my music, but i must say i love the Reverb and delay in my songs maybe to much but i love those effects to much

And so as i say maybe to much i use

25 26 27

You are also very early out of bed Mr Chello i also i can not sleep long i have a lot of work to do with my korg

Now i must work to make the songs complete in my korg Pa5x i have now so much songs to make

And also the Notation is not complete , many songs i must write again but i love to do that

But takes really a lot of time , first write the music , than make the midi file,  and than play the demo song i think sometimes one hour a song but sometimes it takes 2 hours or longer to complete a song set

But i do that so a long time now i really love it

Rob
Your use of reverb and delay is probably stronger than usual, but this is perhaps due to your background as an organist and drummer..?

I am also unusually interested in acoustics, which is probably due to my many years as an accordion player.
A few times I've played accordion in old churches, and the acoustics made it insanely rewarding to play.
On a few occasions, I have had the opportunity to play a church organ in a 750-year-old stone church with incredible acoustics.
In my studio I use horn speakers, which reproduce some of the same acoustics.

I am also very early out of bed as you say, for the same reason as you - I have too much I want to do, and the work requires several processes which I would prefer to do in one continuous operation to have full control over how the result will be.

*Casio CTK 811-ex *Roland EXR-7 76 *Yamaha DGX-620 *Yamaha PSR-550 *Yamaha PSR-S700 *Korg Pa800 *Korg Pa3X 61 *Casio WK-7500 *Yamaha Tyros5 61 *Ketron Audya5 61 *Yamaha PSR S950 *Solton X8 Chromatic *Yamaha Tyros4 10th Anniversary *Korg Pa4X 61 *Roland BK-7m 
*Technics KN-6000 *Technics KN-7000 *Roli Seaboard RISE 49 *Deebach MAX Plus *Yamaha Genos *Korg Pa700 *Korg Kronos2 73 *Tyros4 61 *Ketron Audya 76 *Deebach BlackBox *Korg Pa2X Pro *Yamaha A3000 *Medeli AKX10 *Korg Nautilus 73 *Yamaha DGX-670 *Korg Krome EX-88 *Korg OASYS 76 *Korg Pa5X 76 *Yamaha Tyros1 *Ketron Audya 76

*Aune S6 32 bit DAC *MOTU 32 bit Audio Interface *FM Acoustics FM 300A Power amp (Clone) *MBL 6010 Pre Amp (Clone) *STAX SR-L300 (Lambda) electrostatic headphones with STAX SRM-252S Amplifier *beyerdynamic T70 headphones (without pads) *Jamo Cornet 145 *Quadrophonic speaker system consisting of baffles with horns equipped with Seas Exotic fullrange units (MeloDavid clones) *2 cabinets equipped with 2 pcs 6.5" Seas Excel /1 Seas Prestige 6.5" fullrange/1 pc Fountek NeoPro5i (with Dali DaCapo membranes) *Tweeter horns with double membranes & Philips unit *Hexagonal subwoofer with 12 pieces Push&Pull coupled Seas Prestige 8" units and built-in XTZ power amplifiers & Cambridge C500 as pre amplifier
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to Chello for this post:
  • Arius (07-18-2023), jucami (07-17-2023), OrganPlayer (07-17-2023), Roshure (07-17-2023), whitecolin1 (07-17-2023)
Add Thank You Reply
I also think so  , i not really like dry sounds , that is why i always use reverb and delay in Genos i only use those 2 effects now i am not so busy with effects because i want first know of the recordings are good enough

And i takes a time to know the Korg pa5x better but now i know him better i can put it on other things

Korg is complete different as Yamaha  and i have them all but it kost me some time to learn how the Korg Pa5x works that is also why i not make new sets

till now now i can focus on new sets that is what i always be busy with and because of you and Mr Qui i can now work on new sets
  • Arius (07-18-2023), Chello (07-17-2023), jucami (07-17-2023), Roshure (07-17-2023)
Add Thank You Reply
(07-17-2023, 04:38 AM)OrganPlayer Wrote: Yes MR Chello in this you also have right, that is also me i think i also use to much Effects in my music, but i must say i love the Reverb and delay in my songs maybe to much but i love those effects to much

there is a very simple trick professionals use in the studio when using lots of reverb, they remove the low end of the reverb sound, this means that you only reverb the higher parts of your signal. This allows you to use as much reverb as you want without making the effect to wet in the total sound.

The Pa5X overb (reverb on page 2) has a setting called 'Bass Crossover' for this when you go to the parameter page of the overb (press the zoom parameters page on that screen you see the advanced programming settings of the pa5x effects).

So when you look at this page you see the setting bass crossover, in this screen it's set to 320 Hz. Below that you see the bass gain, now if you enter for instance there -6 that means you will lower everything in the reverb tail below 320 Hz with 6 dB, that makes that all your low end of your sound is not in the reverb (and believe me, that is really what you want).
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Robinez for this post:
  • Arius (07-18-2023), Chello (07-17-2023), jucami (07-17-2023), musicalmemoriesuk (07-17-2023), OrganPlayer (07-17-2023), Roshure (07-17-2023)
Add Thank You Reply
Dank u wel Mr Qui ik blijf steeds weer van u leren en gelloof me ik had hier zelf nooit achter gekomen

En dat zal ook wel het geval geweest Zijn Bij De Yamaha Genos  ook die heb ik nooit goed begrepen

Ik ken de Korg pa5x al beter dan ik de Genos ooit gekend heb

Ik ben daar niet zo een ster in 

maar dank zij u heb ik alweer wat geleerd om het geluid beter te laten klinken dank u voor dat

13 10
  • Arius (07-18-2023), Chello (07-17-2023), jucami (07-17-2023), Robinez (07-17-2023)
Add Thank You Reply
Balancing sounds for me is quite important but when you add effects this can make the sounds, sound off balance so you have to then re adjust again.

Its also making all the sounds fit well within the mix, which ones are stronger which are weaker. 

Is there a workflow for balancing sounds, what sounds should stand out in the mix?

Alot will be down to your personal taste and hearing.

Looking at music today and in the past, some decades used alot of reverb. Look at 80s music, then the 70s im told was quite a dry out.

Alot of getting a better sound out of your keyboard is getting the source right in the first place.
General Music WK4, Technics Kn5000, Solton Ms60, Yamaha Psr K1, Tyros 4, Korg Pa50sd and Korg Pa700
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to musicalmemoriesuk for this post:
  • Arius (07-18-2023), Chello (07-17-2023), jucami (07-17-2023), OrganPlayer (07-17-2023), Robinez (07-17-2023), Roshure (07-17-2023)
Add Thank You Reply
(07-17-2023, 01:36 PM)musicalmemoriesuk Wrote: Balancing sounds for me is quite important but when you add effects this can make the sounds, sound off balance so you have to then re adjust again.

Its also making all the sounds fit well within the mix, which ones are stronger which are weaker. 

Is there a workflow for balancing sounds, what sounds should stand out in the mix?

the first thing that is really important to know is that the musical genre determines how to approach the mix. For instance remixing an EDM song has a completely different approach then remixing an Ambient song. This also applies to the effect programming and the type of effects that are used.

But the basics always applies luckily, if you mix this way the starting point of your mix will always be a good starting point before you add the genre specific tricks on it. Technically, that is how you mix a song, the loudest instruments in the mix peak very close to 0dB level, then all other instrument and vocal levels are set in relation to the loudest ones in the mix.

So my advice would be: Get really good in applying the basics, and that starts with the levels of each instrument. This makes or breaks the sound of you song.

I've looked on youtube for a good and short tutorial and I found this 3minute tutorial which explains the mixing basics really good, worth a watch and have fun experimenting with it. I can guarantee you that once you understand mixing, EQ and effect programming, this is the most fun part of finishing your song. 

[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Robinez for this post:
  • Arius (07-18-2023), Chello (07-17-2023), Roshure (07-18-2023)
Add Thank You Reply
(07-17-2023, 08:23 PM)Robinez Wrote: I've looked on youtube for a good and short tutorial and I found this 3minute tutorial which explains the mixing basics really good, worth a watch and have fun experimenting with it. I can guarantee you that once you understand mixing, EQ and effect programming, this is the most fun part of finishing your song. 

Qui

Fun that you chose this video because I've seen this one before - it is very good and easy to understand.

[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Chello for this post:
  • Arius (07-18-2023), Robinez (07-17-2023), Roshure (07-18-2023)
Add Thank You Reply
So when setting levels / balancing tracks,

You need to start off with one track that you want to stand out or use as a reference, then set all other track levels to zero.

I read that you should start out with the drum and bass tracks, is this correct?
General Music WK4, Technics Kn5000, Solton Ms60, Yamaha Psr K1, Tyros 4, Korg Pa50sd and Korg Pa700
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to musicalmemoriesuk for this post:
  • Arius (07-18-2023), Chello (07-18-2023)
Add Thank You Reply