Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIFFERENT LIGHTS AFFECT EACH OTHER - DIFFERENT SOUNDS AFFECT EACH OTHER
Lightbulb 
DIFFERENT LIGHTS AFFECT EACH OTHER - DIFFERENT SOUNDS AFFECT EACH OTHER

I've talked about this a bit before, but I'll bring it up again because I just observed something that really surprised me:
A while ago I installed extremely white LEDs in the ceiling, which are roughly like daylight.
After this, I mounted corresponding LEDs behind the speaker units (inside the cabinet's cut-out hole).
The strange thing was that the light from the units appeared yellow-white, even though it was supposed to be white.

I recently had to dim the white light in the ceiling by changing the color temperature because I got Migraine Vision.

VOILA !
Now the units appeared as white as snow.

It immediately struck me that this is exactly the same thing that happens with sound - when you boost the midrange, this happens at the expense of bass and treble, which sound weaker than they really are.
If you reduce the midrange, the opposite happens.

This further reminds me of one of the most important rules in mixing: It is better to reduce something to achieve an increase in something else.

This further implies that the Pa5X, which generally has too high a midrange, should have the midrange reduced in order to achieve the desired sound pressure in the bass and treble range.

The way I mix by using effects in the outer edges of the frequency range is thus theoretically wrong, even if I get it to work the way I want.
Shared knowledge provides increased knowledge
If we all share everything we have, we all have everything

KEYBOARDS, SYNTHS & MODULES I HAVE HAD AND HAVE
*Casio CTK 811-ex *Roland EXR-7 76 *Yamaha DGX-620 *Yamaha PSR-550 *Yamaha PSR-S700 *Korg Pa800 *Korg Pa3X 61 *Casio WK-7500 *Yamaha Tyros5 61 *Ketron Audya5 61 *Yamaha PSR S950 *Solton X8 Chromatic *Yamaha Tyros4 10th Anniversary *Korg Pa4X 61 *Roland BK-7m 
*Technics KN-6000 *Technics KN-7000 *Roli Seaboard RISE 49 *Deebach MAX Plus *Yamaha Genos *Korg Pa700 *Korg Kronos2 73 *Tyros4 61 *Ketron Audya 76 *Deebach BlackBox *Korg Pa2X Pro *Yamaha A3000 *Medeli AKX10 *Korg Nautilus 73 *Yamaha DGX-670 *Korg Krome EX-88 *Korg OASYS 76 *Korg Pa5X 76 *Yamaha Tyros1 *Ketron Audya 76

MY PA EQUIPMENT NON-ACTIVE AND ACTIVE
*Aune S6 32 bit DAC *MOTU 32 bit Audio Interface *FM Acoustics FM 300A Power amp (Clone) *MBL 6010 Pre Amp (Clone) *STAX SR-L300 (Lambda) electrostatic headphones with STAX SRM-252S Amplifier *beyerdynamic T70 headphones (without pads) *Jamo Cornet 145 *Quadrophonic speaker system consisting of baffles with horns equipped with Seas Exotic fullrange units (MeloDavid clones) *2 cabinets equipped with 2 pcs 6.5" Seas Excel /1 Seas Prestige 6.5" fullrange/1 pc Fountek NeoPro5i (with Dali DaCapo membrane) *Tweeter horns with Philips unit *Hexagonal subwoofer with 12 pieces Push&Pull coupled Seas Prestige 8" units and built-in XTZ power amplifiers & Cambridge C500 as pre amplifier
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Chello for this post:
  • musicalmemoriesuk (02-26-2024), Roshure (02-26-2024), welsh wizard (02-27-2024)
Add Thank You Reply
Very interesting
General Music WK4, Technics Kn5000, Solton Ms60, Yamaha Psr K1, Tyros 4, Korg Pa50sd and Korg Pa700
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to musicalmemoriesuk for this post:
  • Chello (02-26-2024)
Add Thank You Reply
(02-26-2024, 11:21 PM)musicalmemoriesuk Wrote: Very interesting

Yes; very few actually know the consequences of this.
Over the years, I have done countless experiments with both light and sound, and know how big an influence this can have.

Many people misunderstand the meaning that two sounds must have a level difference of around 3 dB in order to be able to say with certainty that they have different levels.

I have used Equalizer APO (the world's most advanced free EQ), and have no problem determining that the total sound pressure changes by as little as 0.5dB spread over several center frequencies.

I can also hear a difference in level on the Pa5X by adjusting only 0.5dB for drums, e.g....

This is somewhat the same as what happens if you stand in a completely white room and hold up a large red plate - the wall that reflects the color from the plate turns pink..!

*Casio CTK 811-ex *Roland EXR-7 76 *Yamaha DGX-620 *Yamaha PSR-550 *Yamaha PSR-S700 *Korg Pa800 *Korg Pa3X 61 *Casio WK-7500 *Yamaha Tyros5 61 *Ketron Audya5 61 *Yamaha PSR S950 *Solton X8 Chromatic *Yamaha Tyros4 10th Anniversary *Korg Pa4X 61 *Roland BK-7m 
*Technics KN-6000 *Technics KN-7000 *Roli Seaboard RISE 49 *Deebach MAX Plus *Yamaha Genos *Korg Pa700 *Korg Kronos2 73 *Tyros4 61 *Ketron Audya 76 *Deebach BlackBox *Korg Pa2X Pro *Yamaha A3000 *Medeli AKX10 *Korg Nautilus 73 *Yamaha DGX-670 *Korg Krome EX-88 *Korg OASYS 76 *Korg Pa5X 76 *Yamaha Tyros1 *Ketron Audya 76

*Aune S6 32 bit DAC *MOTU 32 bit Audio Interface *FM Acoustics FM 300A Power amp (Clone) *MBL 6010 Pre Amp (Clone) *STAX SR-L300 (Lambda) electrostatic headphones with STAX SRM-252S Amplifier *beyerdynamic T70 headphones (without pads) *Jamo Cornet 145 *Quadrophonic speaker system consisting of baffles with horns equipped with Seas Exotic fullrange units (MeloDavid clones) *2 cabinets equipped with 2 pcs 6.5" Seas Excel /1 Seas Prestige 6.5" fullrange/1 pc Fountek NeoPro5i (with Dali DaCapo membrane) *Tweeter horns with Philips unit *Hexagonal subwoofer with 12 pieces Push&Pull coupled Seas Prestige 8" units and built-in XTZ power amplifiers & Cambridge C500 as pre amplifier
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Chello for this post:
  • Roshure (02-27-2024)
Add Thank You Reply
The thing I’ve noticed is things such as eq / compression / other effects need to be applied after you have created your soundscape. 

Why because sounds react completely differently when dry with effects to wet (in the soundscape).
Today when I was experimenting with a chorus effect on one of my epiano sounds the chorus effect sounded completely different to the same sound with no reverb.

It’s a little like build the foundations of your house before you build the house on top.

These are my observations anyhow.
General Music WK4, Technics Kn5000, Solton Ms60, Yamaha Psr K1, Tyros 4, Korg Pa50sd and Korg Pa700
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to musicalmemoriesuk for this post:
  • Chello (02-27-2024), Roshure (02-27-2024)
Add Thank You Reply
(02-27-2024, 01:10 AM)musicalmemoriesuk Wrote: The thing I’ve noticed is things such as eq / compression / other effects need to be applied after you have created your soundscape. 

Why because sounds react completely differently when dry with effects to wet (in the soundscape).
Today when I was experimenting with a chorus effect on one of my epiano sounds the chorus effect sounded completely different to the same sound with no reverb.

It’s a little like build the foundations of your house before you build the house on top.

These are my observations anyhow.

Yes, it is important to know that all effects affect each other.

It is also the case that an equalizer's response is very similar to a reverberation algorithm, only on a much smaller timescale.

EQ alone can do more than most people think.

Also, EQ is used (to determine the working range) in most effects.

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Chello for this post:
  • musicalmemoriesuk (02-27-2024), Roshure (02-27-2024)
Add Thank You Reply
Yes the hi eq in reverb changes the reflection in the soundscape but in the same way an early reflections, and or dampening. 

Much in the same way you mentioned with light.
Add Thank You Reply
(02-27-2024, 01:58 AM)musicalmemoriesuk Wrote: Yes the hi eq in reverb changes the reflection in the soundscape but in the same way an early reflections, and or dampening. 

Much in the same way you mentioned with light.

Accurate.
Much the same happens with sound as with light - the big difference is the higher speed of light, but both are based on frequencies.

But the really interesting thing is the understanding of what happens when you add one color to another; the same happens with sound.

A low sub-bass tone, for example, can be difficult to determine which key it has, but if you add EQ in the midrange or treble range, it becomes much easier.

Add Thank You Reply
It’s such a shame there’s not more members engaging in the topics of discussion here. 

I think to myself all the time I used to spend in libraries when I was learning to code or wanting music books which sometimes I would travel miles to go to the larger libraries which would mean more resources.

Oddly enough some years later when libraries has internet access points which you had to pay and normally limited to an hour at a time. 

To now when there’s so much information at our fingertips, to a certain extent too much which is like throwing a fishing line into the sea hoping your going to get a bite and hoping it’s the fish you want.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to musicalmemoriesuk for this post:
  • Chello (02-27-2024)
Add Thank You Reply
(02-27-2024, 02:23 AM)musicalmemoriesuk Wrote: It’s such a shame there’s not more members engaging in the topics of discussion here. 

I think to myself all the time I used to spend in libraries when I was learning to code or wanting music books which sometimes I would travel miles to go to the larger libraries which would mean more resources.

Oddly enough some years later when libraries has internet access points which you had to pay and normally limited to an hour at a time. 

To now when there’s so much information at our fingertips, to a certain extent too much which is like throwing a fishing line into the sea hoping your going to get a bite and hoping it’s the fish you want.

Agree; It's a shame that more members don't get involved in topics like this. Some will probably say that they don't know enough about the topic, but you have to start somewhere...?

I fully understand that it can be frustrating to know that today all possible information is available, but it quickly costs money to get hold of it, and when you have to pay first, you have no guarantee that you will find exactly what you thought was there.

I am probably very lucky to have been able to spend 5 years in the local libraries, and to have been able to read everything they had of interest for free.

Today, more and more must be paid for in one way or another.

Add Thank You Reply
Yes even information is becoming a commodity with a price tag. Just like a lot of the youth of today will never be able to do mental arithmetic like we did. I was no means a mathematician but I would try to work things out even though most of the teachers time was taking up by those who didn’t want to learn.

Funny thing is when I was in secondary school where we got to select what subjects we would do for our exams on of the subjects I selected apart from the compulsory one was typing my friend and I was the only boys in the class this was in the days of old manual typewriters. Then all I wanted was a job in computing. Later in life what I learned here became and still is valuable asset. I remember applying for an administrative job which I had to do a speed test and got up to 100 words a minute.
Add Thank You Reply